How to Write An Agenda
Writing an agenda is essential for any effective meeting!
Preparing for a meeting starts with a proper agenda. An agenda is a written plan of topics to be discussed during a meeting. Having a suitable agenda prepared will make the meeting more efficient and help your team to achieve more. Here are some tips to writing an agenda.
How to write an agenda in 4 easy steps:
- Gather Information for Writing an Agenda
- Brainstorm the Agenda Using a Mind Map
- Select a template to write an agenda
- Write the agenda
Gather Information for Writing the Agenda
Start by collecting input from participants about what they think should be on the agenda. Look up prior email correspondence or call participants. Some meeting management systems such as MeetingBooster allow you to write agendas in an environment where participants can submit suggestions electronically.
If you are working on a meeting belonging to a series of meetings, it is beneficial to review prior meeting minutes to include parked topics, unresolved issues or for inspiration. Often topics are repetitive for meetings belonging to a series.
Brainstorm the Agenda Using a Mind Map
For brainstorming and getting an overview of topics you would like to include in your agenda, some people like to use mind mapping software such as MindView. Mind mapping allows you to get a visual overview of ideas that you can later export to Word as the agenda. Alternatively, you can brainstorm agenda ideas on paper or start writing notes directly in Word.
Select a Template to Write the Agenda
Even though millions of meetings take place a day, it is difficult to find good agenda templates. Obviously this has to do with the variety of meetings. There are some meetings however, which are fairly standardized and can be used for inspiration:
Write the Agenda
Once you have gathered information and created an outline of topics, you can start writing the agenda. You can use a normal Word processor or meeting management software such as MeetingBooster. MeetingBooster has an agenda writing module that allows you to easily to enter your topics and the respective time for the topics. Remember to always allocate durations for each topic in longer meetings.
Tips to writing an agenda:
- Insert start and end time for each topic
- Make sure to insert set aside time for breaks
- Have colleagues or other participants review your agenda
- Make sure to include preparation tasks
- Remember to distribute the agenda to participants before the meeting
Using MeetingBooster to write your agenda:
- Electronic topic suggestion system for participants
- Easy and effective tool to write and agenda
- Powerful time distribution tool
- Allocate pre meeting tasks
- Automatic distribution of agenda